Moving to .NET Core

In our roadmap to open sourcing, there is idealy the move of Generative Objects to .NET Core, in order to use a full open source stack and also allow deployments on Linux.

In the future, there might be the migration to another language than .NET (Java ? nodejs ? other ?). But the move to .NET Core is the first easy step.

So the plan is to start very soon this migration and see where it goes

EDITED : as part of moving to .NET Core, we shall also see what code editor to use, instead of Visual studio. Visual Code ? or maybe a good open source code editor ? ideally could be good to have an online editor, as in the future it would be great to include code edition directly as part of the Generative Objects platform, to write the custom code as part of the platform itself

I agree with moving to .NET Core, which will help GO to be ready for cloud deployments on Linux. It may be a good idea to first identify existing libraries or components that may not have their .NET Core equivalent, and then also compiling the source against .NET core to see the most common errors.

1 Like

@garth, as you proposed to work on the port to .NET Core, I continue our discussion here :

A good route to go would be to start with porting the generated applications.
One way to go is to model a simple application on Generative Objects, generate it, and then port the generated application to .NET Core.

Once this is done, you can then port the generation template to generate .NET Core application. A way to do it is to compare the code of the generated application before and after manually porting it to .NET Core, and replicate the changes to the generation templates, regenerate the application, and iterate until all is working.

Once that is done, you can regenerate the full Generative Objects platform with the new generation templates, to .NET Core, and port the custom Generative Objects to .NET Core

I will create an Generative Objects instance that you can use to model and generate an application, so that you can already play with the platform, and generated code.

This is actually a very good way to gently step into the Generative Objects code base !

Also, as added in the post : there is also the topic of finding an alternative editor to Visual Studio. Potentially Visual Code, or another code editor, ideally full open source and having an online version. The fastest way would be to start with Visual Code, do the .NET Core port, and later check on other editors

Happy with that plan @walteralmeida. I’m thinking the simple application to use is Conduit - a Medium like clone from https://github.com/gothinkster/realworld, which then opens up the potential to reverse engineer templates for other tech backends & frontends. Seem reasonable?

Separately, are you available to help me with deployment today; the build is working but I’m getting errors with deployapplication.cmd - ConstructViews.exe